A Gaythering Storm

So yet another hysterical parody of NOM’s “Gathering Storm” ad has been made and it ended with this clever domain name. Strangely enough, Funny or Die didn’t register the domain. So I decided it was worth setting up just to keep the conversation going  – FOR Gay Marriage.

Here’s the parody:

So what should we do with this domain? Comments or suggestions?

161 Responses to “A Gaythering Storm”

• Jonathan Oz says:

Umbrella construction hints might be fun. It’d have to be made of some pretty heavy fabric if were to be a truly gay repellent umbrella, perhaps canvas, in a nice rainbow pattern.

DarenW Reply:

I don’t think a nice rainbow pattern would make an effective gay-repellent umbrella–it would probably serve more as an attractor.
    Perhaps something in drab polyester would be more effective.

Nido Info Reply:

@DarenW,

We need something designed by McCain, Bush, and Cheney. That will do a pretty good job of repelling gays. Even if it was just an umbrella. Let Bush come up with the design, McCain make it, and Cheney handle it after it is made.

Everyone run away fast after it is in Cheney’s hands though.

jb Reply:

@Nido Info,

Umm, you might want to double check the whole Cheney bashing thing, since his daughter is a lesbian. I challenge you to find anything he’s ever said about not allowing gay marriage.

Not that he isn’t a jerk & political scumbag, it’s just that he has a better perspective on homosexuality than most Republicans.

as Reply:

@DarenW,

Perhaps a red, white, and blue umbrella, since we all know that gays hate America.

QUESTIONMAN Reply:

@Jonathan Oz, Is this site really against gays, or is it just a parody?

pm me to let me know TKS

• Shannon says:

Post links to the Human Rights Campaign, etc! Good Luck!

Cam Reply:

@Shannon,

Better to post an ad to groups like “One Iowa” and others that support marriage for gays. For years the HRC tried to get people not to sue for marriage, saying it wasn’t the right time. And even though they aren’t doing that anymore their support has been tepid at best. One Iowa is a group running ads in Iowa to convince people not to support any legislation to overturn the Supremem court Ruling with an amendment to the State constitution. http://www.oneiowa.org/web/this_place.shtml

[Reply]

• Greetings! I’m the guy who registered 2m4m.org before NOM realized they’d not done it.

Looks like FunnyOrDie made the same goof.

Sigh ;)

Any chance you can put a link up to http://www.2m4m.org? Let’s make these domain goofs do some good for marriage equality.

• bob says:

You should post a link to Courage Campaign — the lead organization working to overturn Proposition 8:

• Amy says:

Someone needs to invent a flash game where you move around and giant umbrella to keep falling gay people off of churches and families.

And, of course, link to good equality web sites…

Erin Reply:

@Amy,

I would pay money to see that!!!!

Jenifer Reply:

@Amy, Love it!
    That would be awesome!

• Thomas S says:

Hi, this was such a great Idea.

And Jonathan, The Umbrella would have to be Plaid or some hideous color for it to be gay repellent and maybe fake leather (pleather)!!!

Paula Reply:

@Thomas S,
    Burlap… the umbrella should be burlap, neither fashionable, nor weatherproof.

• Tony says:

Here’s a giant umbrella… I don’t think it’s a gay repellent umbrella since our supreme court just struck down the defence of marriage act which is what prompted all this hubbum in the first place…

“Crusoe Umbrella by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen, 1979, Cor-Ten steel painted with polyurethane enamel. Public art located in Nollen Plaza, Des Moines, Iowa”

Janet Reply:

@Tony, Great start on an umbrella. Better get one done soon as next week is when all the gays will all drop in on Iowa since the same sex marriage law will start.

• Chris says:

Ask people to post pictures, drawings, videos using umbrellas in funny or ironic ways. Ideas:

Hold an umbrella to prevent a neighbor from asking for something.
    Hold an umbrella facing toward the lawn to prevent it from growing too long.
    A student holding an umbrella against a bad exam score.
    Hold an umbrella toward the radio to shut up Rush Limbaugh.
    Hold an umbrella toward a woman who wears mismatched clothes.

Keeping it light and silly are key.
    Let’s make umbrellas a symbol of (a) liberalism and (b) the mockery of homophobia.
    Rainy days will be better than ever, even on Wall Street.

• Rainne says:

You could be a linkinghouse to equality campaigns like HRC, GLAAD, etc.

Much win to you, sir/ma’am, for grabbing this domain so quickly.

• Ken says:

Chris–your suggestion is brilliant. The site should partner with someone to design and sell umbrellas (and bumper stickers) mocking the ad and calling attention to the soon to be viral “GiantGayRepellantUmbrella” movement.

Nichole Reply:

@Ken, @Chris

I agree! Great idea!!

• EAW says:

Keep it up Colbert style.

• Jen says:

This is great. I’d say sell umbrellas — maybe logo’ed umbrellas made through cafepress.com, and donate proceeds to HRC and other similar organizations.

Sandy Reply:

This is a good idea. Not just the umbrellas themselves but a logo that is really noticeable for car bumpers, coffee mugs and T-shirts etc. Something humorous and slightly ridiculous would be good.
    I’ve always felt bad that the cost of normalizing homosexually falls mainly on the people who have to pay the heaviest social price for speaking out -often the most conservative of family oriented gay couples and extended families. Homophobia is largely a heterosexual “illness” (for lack of a better word) and I think all of us in the sexual majority should be held more responsible for a group in our society being denied basic rights. I don’t live in an area with gay pride events of even gay-friendly bars or commercial areas. The only people I talk to about homosexuality are my friends and they share the same views as me. I would like to see a way that average boring heterosexuals like me could sway the opinions of the unenlightened masses – made up of a lot average boring heterosexuals like me. I think in particular this “coming storm” crap is perfect. There is nothing as good as going way too far in the extreme to make the moderates re-think their positions. On the “con” side there has to be a lot previously anti-gay marriage people who see these ads as unnecessary propaganda and hate mongering. On the “pro” side popular internet spoofs may spark interest in people who otherwise might not join in a gay rights movement.
    I think a whole lot of people are anti-gay rights because it seems normal to them think that way. If a bunch of people at their work show up with “GiantGayRepellantUmbrella” mugs or car stickers it tells them that it is normal not to think that way. And any money from the sales can go to the non-spoof equal rights campaigns.
    Jon Stewart has said that he thinks gay rights will be our greatest shame when we look back on this time in our society (just a paraphrase). Is there anyone who could try to get comedy backing like this? Could you imagine what would happen if Colbert told his audience to absolutely not buy “GiantGayRepellantProducts” because it might be a secret plot to support the gays?

• Scott in New Mexico says:

Create the National Organization for Man Lady Marriage. =D

Paula Reply:

@Scott in New Mexico,

There are plenty of ManLadies who would love to marry other ManLadies … but what about the GrrlyFellas? Can’t they have a marriage cause too? There are so many people of all stripes and plaids …

• Anna says:

Print blueprints for the GGRU and a place to volunteer.

Not to mention the effects of what will happen if we do NOT build the umbrella.

• Mathew says:

Um, duh. Solicit donations to build a giant gay repellent umbrella.

• B. Arkansas says:

Howsabout a Church of Satan sponsored support site for those who have wandered from gay marriage to breeder-marriage. You know, understanding but demeaning. Sometimes, otherwise well-meaning people are seduced by the words of Jesus into marrying others of the opposite sex, and they must be counseled, primarily through shame. See that!? See that?! Bad! That’s a bad breeder!

• scott says:

fyi you spelled “hysterical” wrong.

• Jon M says:

Thanks for all the comments so far (especially about the misspellings). This was a bit of an experiment in how quick can one setup a blog from start to finish (under 30 minutes). I’m still not sure what I’ll do with it. Maybe turn it into a real blog. I think I might have some intelligent things to say once in a while (even with misspellings).

• Jim Burnell says:

I’d actually buy a gigantic rainbow-colored gay repellent umbrella (it’d have to say “GIANT GAY-REPELLENT UMBRELLA” on it in hot pink or something).

Maybe brand it with the HRC logo and donate the proceeds to HRC.

• GEJ says:

Oooh! Oooh! Mememememe!! I wanna help build the umbrella!

• RJ says:

post a link to the campaign and instructions and progress on the umbrella !

• Tony says:

giantgayrepellentumbrella should sponsor someone for the 2012 presidential campaign so they can make it a top priority to build the much needed gay repellent umbrella. Of course the candidate should be someone can easily spot out the gays to repel them effetely like Perez Hilton.

Kevin Reply:

@Tony, all we need to do is get funds from the Border Fence project and incorporate the GiantGayRepellentUmbrella into the border fence. That’ll keep the nation secure!!!!

• Jimmy D says:

I’m not sure what to suggest long term (several good suggestions already here, after all); but as a quick-fill suggest, you might consider linking or posting the other spoofs that have been done (like Stephen Colbert’s version).

• Richard says:

post a link to HRC’s new web site which specifically addresses the blatant lies that the original NOM commercial propagates: http://www.endthelies.org

• Graybear says:

http://tinyurl.com/d5syjy This inspires me because in addition to the umbrella the giant hat acts as a shield to precipitation and homosexuality

Sandy Reply:

@Graybear, Gag me with a GaGa – I think that lipstick acts as a shield against any sexualities.

• Paula says:

Whatever you do, if you do a video, have an interpreter for the deaf video in the corner and make sure you say umbrella as much as possible.

The sign for umbrella is -> http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/u/umbrella.htm

if done slightly incorrectly it means to jerk off.

Fritz Reply:

@Paula
    I laughed so very, very hard.

Elidet Reply:

@Paula,

LMAO

Paul Reply:

@Paula,
    OMG!!
    Laughing… so… hard… can’t breath…!
    Priceless!
    Thank you for that! :)

Jen Reply:

@Paula, that’s awesome!

• Buck says:

Links to Marriage Equality USA and Freedom to Marry would be nice, they are working nationally to secure marriage equality for all people.

• El.Kabong says:

Perhaps include a news blog on the umberella’s progress, interviews with people, oddly all from the mid-west, who’ve been hit or otherwise impacted by the falling gay marrieds(FGMs)(eg Bert’s bait shop was hit and is now complimented by an adjoining sushi takeout), future technologies to battle the problem (star wars-like), adds for FGM coats and galloshes. For the creative mind, the possibilities are endless…

• beachdog67 says:

Can we do something to support those in my country who choose Opposite Marriage?

Until very recently, my not-spouse and I have been very disappointed in the lack of media coverage opposite marriage has received.

• Hannah says:

Maybe set up some sort of petition? I’m sorry, I’m not great at thinking up suggestions on the spot, but just wanted to comment to say well done for grabbing the domain so quickly. I’ll bookmark it and keep checking back :)

• Larray says:

Please – NOM is going to whoop all y’all asses! They sent me a letter today and they are praising this kindof attention. Straight up now tell me (I blame that pill popper, Paula Abdul…or is it Kara DiaIdontgiveadamwhatsongsyouwroteyousuckasanidoljudge on this whole mess)…

This is what Mr Brown done said about dem gays wanting to be hitched:

“This is a movement dedicated to imposing gay marriage on you and your children, whether you like it or not.

(Now I know by the way that not all gay people or gay marriage supporters think like that. And even for those who do, in the midst of this vigorous battle for God’s truth, we are charged with the task of nurturing charity in our hearts towards the people with whom we disagree.)”

First off, do you think my kids give a damn? Hell NO! They are too busy paying my rent to give a damn!

Okay – what the hell is this dumbass talking bout, huh? I mean, how are these people imposing this on me? I ain’t seen no collection plates from them or any flyers on mah dohstep. I mean, if anything these people are bringing me fashion, fun and RuPauls Drag race!

The day Christian Soriano shows up on my doorstep with a bunch of hershey’s candies and designs an outfit for me is the day that these unflaterring gays intrude on my life… And Christian, if you show up during ‘Guiding Light’, I will whoop that ass… then you can do me up!

• Crosby says:

You should have an easy to use, “post to facebook” link. Make this thing viral!

• Ian says:

We need the giant gay-repellent umbrella to also protect us from the dihydrogen monoxide that is contained within rainwater.

• Willy Boy says:

I think this domain should be used to gather all the wonderful parodies of “Gathering Storm” in one location. In my opinion the “Funny or Die” is the best out there to date, but there are lots of fun ones…

Cheers!

• Willy Boy says:

Oh and I like the idea of selling Giant Gay Repellent Umbrellas ™ – I’d order at least two if the are really giant, “golf” size…

• Bug Eater says:

This site should play that song “Hallelujah, It’s Raining Men” by the weather girls…

Anne Reply:

@Bug Eater, best comment ever!

• Elizabeth says:

Yay!! I am glad you registered it. I would be bummed if the website didn’t exist. Wasn’t exactly the funniest pardy I have ever seen but I guess there is only so much you can do with Gay Storm. Oh, I think you should put up the song “It’s Raining Men” here. It would be a nice touch.

• liesel says:

I don’t really get what’s supposed to be funny.

Elidet Reply:

@liesel,

You would need to watch the original.

Just search NOM gay marriage on youtube.

• Arianne says:

This is probably the funniest parody of that uninformed and uncalled for ad every. GO GAY MARRIAGE! :)

• Eric Porter says:

I think this site should continue to parody the anti same-sex marriage sites, adds, and arguments.

• Arianne says:

Oops, I meant to say ever*

• Sarah says:

Maybe post other parodies / discussion points / news about the issue.

But obviously, stuff about a giant gay reppellent umbrella would be awesomes XD

• Elidet says:

Can you post medicine in case people get the gays?

Also, a book on gay prevention.

And where we can order those darn umbrellas!

Keep up the funny but truly needed fight for equals rights.

E.

• Shannon says:

I was curious if the domain actually existed. Very funny!

• outrider says:

You need one of those share thingies, so we can post this on facebook.

Jen Reply:

@outrider, there’s one at the top of the page.

• Moggy says:

Keep this website up! Fantastic!

• sumac3 says:

Thank goodness, finally a site that takes this threat seriously!

Bring out that old Star Wars defense system and update it so that
    we might have a satellite umbrella defense system.

What are “they” doing “up there?”

I don’t know, but it really really scares me! I mean I’m not even heterosexually married now! I don’t want to be gay married either! What about MY rights, OK?

This is so wrong! You know what this will lead to, don’t you? Gay Divorce!
    Gay divorce COURT! On TV!

My prayers are with you.

• "I am afraid" says:

Make the umbrella out of whatever material the Mormons’ sacred undies are made of.

Jay Reply:

@”I am afraid”, Couldn’t we just use Mormons instead? An umbrella of Mormons wearing their magical underwear! How festive that would be.

amanda benson Reply:

@”I am afraid”, I concur, excellent idea (says the ex-mormon lesbain))